Understanding Your CP111 Notice

What this notice is about

We made changes to your return because we believe there’s a miscalculation. As a result, you are due a refund.

What you need to do

You don't need to do anything. If you haven't received it already, you should receive a refund of the overpaid amount within 4-6 weeks as long as you owe no other taxes or debts we are required to collect.

You may want to

  • Compare the figures on the notice with your tax return.
  • If you agree with our changes, correct the copy of your tax return that you kept for your records.
  • Complete and send us a Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative, to authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact us on your behalf.

Frequently asked questions

What if I do not receive my refund in 4-6 weeks?

If you don’t owe other taxes or debts we’re required to collect, such as child support, and 6 weeks have lapsed, call us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice.

What if I disagree with the changes you made and don’t want the refund?

Contact us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice to stop the refund.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you to avoid mistakes and to find credits and deductions for which you may qualify. In many cases you can file electronically for free. Learn more about e-file.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

Need Help?

  • You can authorize someone to contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
  • If you can’t find what you need online, you can call the IRS at the 800, 866, or 888 number listed on the notice.