We sent you this notice because you owe money on unpaid taxes.
What you need to do
- Read your notice carefully. It will explain how much you owe and how to pay it.
- Pay the amount you owe by the due date on the notice asks.
- Make a payment plan if you can't pay the full amount you owe.
- Contact us if you disagree.
You may want to
Answers to common questions
What happens if I can't pay or pay the full amount I owe now?
You can apply online for a payment plan (including installment agreements).
What should I do if I disagree with the notice?
Call us at the toll free number on the top right corner of your notice. Please have your paperwork (such as cancelled checks, amended return, etc.) ready when you call.
Am I charged interest on the money I owe?
Not if you pay the full amount you owe by the date on the payment coupon. However, interest accrues on the unpaid amount after that date.
Will I receive a penalty if I can't pay the full amount?
Yes, you'll receive a late payment penalty. You can call us at the number on your notice if you can't pay the full amount. Contact us by your payment's due date. Based on your situation, we may be able to remove the penalty.
Tips for next year
Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.
Tax publications you may find useful
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer (PDF)
- Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax (PDF)
- Publication 594, The IRS Collection Process (PDF)
- Notice 746, Information About Your Notice, Penalty and Interest (PDF)
- Form 656-B, Offer in Compromise Booklet (PDF)
- Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request (PDF)
- Full list of tax forms and instructions
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF).
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.