Federal benefit recipients with children have more time to get the $500 Economic Impact Payment

Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.

COVID Tax Tip 2020-113, September 2, 2020

The IRS has reopened the registration period for individuals who receive Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, Railroad Retirement or veteran's benefits, but didn't receive $500 per child earlier this year when they received their own Economic Impact Payment.

Federal benefit recipients can use the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool to get a catch-up payment for a qualifying child if they have NOT done one of the following:

  • already used the Non-Filers tool to provide information about their qualifying child
  • filed their 2019 or 2018 tax return

The Non-Filers tool is available on IRS.gov in both English and Spanish. Eligible individuals can use the tool until Wednesday, September 30 to enter information about their qualifying children to receive a catch-up $500 payment per child. This payment will be issued in October.

Those unable to access the Non-Filers tool, may file a simplified paper return following the instructions in this FAQ on IRS.gov.

Anyone who misses the September 30 deadline will need to wait until next year and claim the payment as a credit on their 2020 federal income tax return.

Those who received their original Economic Impact Payment by direct deposit will also have any catch-up payment direct deposited to the same account. Others will receive a check.

Federal benefit recipients who used the Non-Filers tool after May 5, don't need to take any further action

Social Security, SSI, Department of Veterans Affairs and Railroad Retirement Board beneficiaries who have already used the Non-Filers tool to provide information on children don't need to take any further action. The IRS will automatically send a payment in October.

Get a payment status at IRS.gov

Eligible recipients can check the status of their catch-up payment using the Get My Payment tool on IRS.gov. They will also receive another Notice 1444 in the mail stating after the payment is issued that should be kept with their tax records.

More information: