IR-2011-60, June 1, 2011
WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service’s Advisory Committee on Tax Exempt and Government Entities (ACT) will hold a public meeting on June 15 and submit its latest round of recommendations to IRS leadership.
The ACT provides an organized public forum for the IRS to receive regular input on exempt organizations, employee plans and government entity policies. The advisory committee consists of external stakeholders who are appointed by the Secretary of the Treasury.
Specifically, the ACT makes recommendations on operational policies and procedures regarding employee retirement plans, tax-exempt organizations, tax-exempt bonds and federal, state, local and Indian tribal governments. ACT members generally serve two-year terms.
Reports from five ACT subgroups cover the following topics:
- Tax Exempt Bonds: The Role of Conduit Issuers in Tax Compliance.
- Federal, State and Local Governments: Review of the Government Accountability Office (GAO) Report to Congressional Requesters Entitled “Social Security Administration –– Management Oversight Needed to Ensure Accurate Treatment of State and Local Government Employees.” Evaluation of, and Recommendations for Improvement to, the Federal, State and Local Governments (FSLG) Website.
- Indian Tribal Governments: Supplemental Report on the Implementation of Tribal Economic Development Bonds Under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. Survey of Issues Requiring Administrative Guidance in the Wake of Enactment of Section 906 of the Pension Protection Act of 2006.
- Exempt Organizations: Group Exemptions –– Creating a Higher Degree of Transparency, Accountability, and Responsibility.
- Employee Plans: Recommendations Regarding Pension Outreach to the Small Business Community.
Last-minute agenda changes may preclude advance notice. Due to limited seating and security requirements, attendees should call Cynthia PhillipsGrady to confirm their attendance. She can be reached at (202) 283-9954.
ACT’s public meeting will begin at 9:30 a.m. EDT on June 15, 2011, at the IRS headquarters at 1111 Constitution Ave., NW, Washington, D.C. ACT reports are available on the IRS website.
Attendees are encouraged to arrive at least 30 minutes before the meeting begins to allow sufficient time for security clearance. Photo identification must be presented. Please use the main entrance at 1111 Constitution Ave., NW, to enter the building.
Should you wish the ACT to consider a written statement, please call (202) 283-8868, or write to: Internal Revenue Service; 1111 Constitution Ave., NW; SE:T:CL-Penn Bldg; Washington, DC 20224, or e-mail Roberta.B.Zarin@irs.gov.