The IRS has opened a special telephone line for taxpayers affected by the Gulf oil spill. Those with questions about the BP payments or who are experiencing filing or payment hardships because of the oil spill should contact the IRS at 866-562-5227. The special services phone line will operate weekdays from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time.
The IRS encourages taxpayers in the Gulf struggling with payment or collection issues to contact the agency. The IRS continues to have a number of ways to help taxpayers dealing with oil spill issues or other economic hardship issues, including:
- Assistance of the Taxpayer Advocate Service for those taxpayers experiencing economic harm, who are seeking help resolving tax problems that have not been resolved through normal channels.
- Postponement of collection actions in certain hardship cases.
- Added flexibility for missed payments on installment agreements and offers in compromise for previously compliant individuals having difficulty paying.
- IRS employees will be permitted to consider a taxpayer’s current income and potential for future income when negotiating an offer in compromise.
- Accelerated levy releases for taxpayers facing economic hardship.
- Gulf Oil Spill Information Center
- News release IR-2010-85, IRS Announces Opening Times, Addresses for July 17 Special Assistance Day for Gulf Oil Spill Victims
- News release IR-2010-84, IRS Opens Dedicated Phone Line for Gulf Oil Spill Victims
- News release IR-2010-78, IRS Provides Tax Help, Guidance to Gulf Oil Spill Victims; Special Assistance Day Planned for July 17
- News release IR-2010-29, IRS Outlines Additional Steps to Assist Unemployed Taxpayers and Others
- IRS Publication 4873, The Gulf Oil Spill and Your Taxes
- IRS Publication 4873-A, Gulf Oil Spill: Questions and Answers
- IRS Publication 547, Casualties, Disasters, and Thefts