IR-2011-40, April 7, 2011
WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service today announced the availability of the winter 2011 issue of the Statistics of Income Bulletin, which features preliminary data on 140.5 million individual income tax returns filed for tax year 2009.
The Statistics of Income (SOI) Division produces the SOI Bulletin on a quarterly basis. Articles included in the publication provide the most recent data available from various tax and information returns filed by U.S. taxpayers. Some of the articles in this issue of the SOI Bulletin include the following:
- Individual income tax rates and shares: For 2008, individuals filed 142.5 million tax returns. Of those returns, 90.7 million (or 63.6 percent) were taxable, which means that, at the return level, the taxpayer reported total income tax greater than zero. Adjusted gross income (AGI) reported on taxable returns was almost $7.6 trillion, while total income tax was $1 trillion.
- Individual noncash contributions: For tax year 2008, 23 million individual taxpayers who itemized deductions reported $40.4 billion in deductions for noncash charitable contributions.
- Tax-exempt bonds: More than 24,000 tax-exempt governmental bonds and more than 3,400 tax-exempt private activity bonds were issued in 2008, raising $334.4 billion and $135 billion in proceeds, respectively.
- Controlled foreign corporations: For tax year 2006, foreign corporations controlled by U.S. multinational corporations held $11.7 trillion in assets and reported receipts of $4.8 trillion.
- Projections of federal tax return filings: The IRS expects that individual and business taxpayers will file 236.6 million tax returns during calendar year 2011.
The Statistics of Income Bulletin is available for download at IRS.gov/taxstats. Printed copies of the Statistics of Income Bulletin are available from the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, P.O. Box 371954, Pittsburgh, PA 15250-7954. The annual subscription rate is $53 ($74.20 foreign), single issues cost $39 ($48.75 foreign).
For more information, write to the Director, Statistics of Income (SOI) Division, RAS:S, Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 2608, Washington, DC 20013-2608.