Nov. 10, 2011:
There is a phishing email risk you need to be aware of. It is a message claiming to be from the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility.
What to look for:
- The subject line contains the text Acquire new EIN.
- The body of the message instructs the recipient to obtain a new Employer Identification Number in connection with fraudulent actions on your behalf.
- (Note that the text in the subject line and/or body of the message may read differently, but the message is similar.)
What to do if you receive such a message:
- Do not reply to the sender, access links contained in the email or submit any information
- Forward the message as-is immediately to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Review How to report and identify phishing, email scams and bogus IRS websites
- If you receive a suspicious email or discover a website posing as the IRS, please forward the email or URL information to the IRS at email@example.com.