The Internal Revenue Service has joined with representatives of the software industry, tax preparation firms, payroll and tax financial product processors and state tax administrators to combat identity theft refund fraud to protect the nation's taxpayers.
“Don’t Take the Bait” Education Campaign
As part of the Security Summit effort, the IRS, state tax agencies and the tax industry are holding an education series called “Don’t Take the Bait.” It’s focused on raising awareness of the critical need for tax professionals to increase their computer security and be cautious when reviewing their inbox – specifically the successful email scams dubbed spear phishing that identify themselves as a friend, customer or company. Tax professionals must remember that they have not just an obligation but a legal requirement under federal law to protect taxpayer information.
Please visit this page regularly for more updates.
- IR-2017-117, Security Summit Launches Education Campaign Aimed at Tax Pros; Warns Against Phishing Epidemic with “Don’t Take the Bait” series
- IR-2017-119, Don’t Take the Bait, Step 1: Avoid Spear Phishing Emails
- IR-2017-120, Don’t Take the Bait, Step 2: Be Alert to Account Takeover Tactics
- IR-2017-123, Don’t Take the Bait, Step 3: Security Summit Safeguards Help Protect Individuals; Renew Focus on Curbing Data Breaches and Business Identity Theft
- IR-2017-125, Don’t Take the Bait, Step 4: Defend against Ransomware
- IR-2017-127, Don’t Take the Bait, Step 5: Prevent Remote Access Takeover Attacks
- IR-2017-130, Don’t Take the Bait, Step 6: Watch Out for the W-2 Email Scam
- IR-2017-132, Don’t Take the Bait, Step 7: Protect e-Services Accounts, EFINs
- IR-2017-136, Don’t Take the Bait, Step 8: How to Start Protecting Clients, Businesses from Cybersecurity Threats
- IR-2017-144, Sept. 5, 2017, Don’t Take the Bait, Step 9: Make Data Security an Everyday Priority; Key Steps Can Help
- Create IR-2017-152, Don't Take the Bait; Step 10: Steps for Tax Pros with Data Incidents
Taxpayer Safeguards for 2017
- IRS, Security Summit Partners Expand Identity Theft Safeguards for 2017 Filing Season, Build on 2016 Successes
- Security Summit Partners Update Identity Theft Initiatives for 2017
- How New Security Safeguards will Affect You for 2017
Security Awareness Campaigns
Summit partners have held a series of public awareness campaigns directed at taxpayers and at tax professionals, encouraging both to take steps to protect themselves from identity thieves and cybercriminals.
- Taxes. Security. Together.
- Protect Your Clients; Protect Yourself
- Security Awareness Tax Tips
- National Tax Security Awareness Week 2016
News Events and Announcements - 2017
- August 4, 2017 - Security Summit Alert: Tax Pros Warned of New Scam to Steal Their Passwords
- February 17, 2017 - Security Summit Alert: Tax Professionals Warned of New Scam to “Unlock” Their Tax Software Accounts
- January 25, 2017 - IRS, States and Tax Industry Renew Alert About W-2 Scam Targeting Payroll, Human Resources Departments
News Events and Announcements - 2016
- November 28, 2016 - IRS, states and the tax industry offer tips to protect your computers from malware.
- November 22, 2016 - As Holidays Approach, IRS Reminds Taxpayers of Refund Delays in 2017.
- November 16, 2016 - The IRS and Security Summit partners began the second year of their “Taxes. Security. Together.” campaign aimed at encouraging taxpayers to take stronger measures to protect their financial and tax data.
- November 3, 2016 - IRS Commissioner Koskinen and Summit partners reviewed 2016 results and outlined for the public the additional safeguards that will be taken for the 2017 filing season.
Koskinen and Summit participants make a mid-year review of 2016 initiatives and turn toward 2017. Announced start of the Protect Your Clients; Protect Yourself campaign.
- News Release, Security Summit Reviews 2016 Accomplishments, Announces 2017 Initiatives
- Fact Sheet, Security Summit Partners Update Identity Theft Initiatives for 2017
- Fact Sheet, Tax Professionals: Protect Your Clients; Protect Yourself from Identity Theft
News Events and Announcements - 2015
Commissioner Koskinen and Summit partners asked for the public’s help, announced start of the “Taxes. Security. Together.” campaign.
- News Release, IRS, States and Tax Industry Announce New Steps to Help Public to Protect Personal Tax Data
- Commissioner Remarks
- Additional 2015 Security Summit Information
Additional Information for Individuals
- Helpful resources: Publications, articles, YouTube videos and other identity theft related outreach
- Publication 4557, Safeguarding Taxpayer Data: A Guide for Your Business (PDF)
- Security Awareness Tax Tips
- Tax Scams/Consumer Alerts
Additional Information for Tax Professionals
Security Summit Videos
YouTube video - Security Summit Identity Theft Tips Overview
YouTube video - Security Summit: Update Your Password Regularly
YouTube video - Security Summit: Be Cautious When Using Wi-Fi
YouTube video - Security Summit: Secure Your Tax Return
YouTube video - Security Summit: Check your Credit Report Annually
We all have a role.