Structure of the Examinations
In general, candidates for enrollment are required to pass two Joint Board examinations: the basic EA-1 examination and the pension EA-2 examination. The pension examination is given in two parts: EA-2F and EA-2L.
The EA-1 and the EA-2L examinations are given each May; the EA-2F examination is given each November.
Waiver of the EA-1 Examination (Updated May 19, 2017)
The Joint Board will grant a waiver of the EA-1 examination to individuals who have successfully completed:
- An academic program involving courses in actuarial mathematics. See the Educational Requirement Newsletter.
- Examinations FM and either MLC or LTAM of the Society of Actuaries (SOA) Education and Examination Program.
All waiver requests must be submitted in writing to the Joint Board prior to applying for enrollment. An official college transcript must be included for educational waiver requests.
This waiver policy was updated on May 9, 2017, to reflect the SOA’s changes to the FM exam (effective June 2017) and to the SOA’s changes to their ASA requirements (replacing the MLC exam with the LTAM exam effective July 1, 2018). The Joint Board will monitor the content of these SOA exams in the future and consider changes to the EA-1 waiver requirements if and when appropriate. Any future changes in the EA-1 waiver requirements are expected to be applicable only to examination sittings taking place after the announcement of the changes to the waiver requirements.
Transition Credit for Examinations taken Prior to January 2001
The Joint Board examination program was restructured effective January 2001. The Joint Board will grant credit for exams taken before 2001 according to the following table.
Examinations Credited Prior to January 1, 2001
Examinations Credited As of January 1, 2001
Examinations Remaining as of January 1, 2001
|EA(1)-A, EA(1)-B||EA(1)||EA(2)-A, EA(2)-B|
|EA(1)-A, EA(2)||EA(1), EA(2)-B||EA(2)-A|
|EA(1)-B, EA(2)||EA(2)-A, EA(2)-B||EA(1)|
How to Study for the Examination
You can download a copy of the current examination program booklet, which provides general information and suggested readings.
Prior Joint Board Examinations
You can download the following copies of prior examinations and official answers:
May 2012 EA-2B Examination (answer key revised 06/2012)
- November 2012 EA-2A Examination
- May 2013 EA-1 Examination
- May 2013 EA-2L Examination (answer key revised 07/2013)
- November 2013 EA-2F Examination
- May 2014 EA-1 Examination
- May 2014 EA-2L Examination
- November 2014 EA-2F Examination
- May 2015 EA-1 Examination
- May 2015 EA-2L Examination (updated 08/2015)
- November 2015 EA-2F Examination (answer key revised 01/2016)
- May 2016 EA-1 Examination (answer key revised 04/2017)
- May 2016 EA-2L Examination (answer key revised 06/08/2016)
- November 2016 EA-2F Examination
- May 2017 EA-1 Examination
- May 2017 EA-2L Examination (answer key revised 07/14/2017)
- November 2017 EA-2F Examination
- May 2018 EA-1 Examination
- May 2018 EA-2L Examination
Exam sheets are available upon request from the Society of Actuaries. Requests must be submitted to the Society of Actuaries within 6 months after the date of the exam. To request a copy of your answer sheet, please send an e-mail to Mark Dulceak. Be sure to include:
- In the subject heading of the e-mail, the reason for the e-mail, for example, "SOA Enrolled Actuaries Answer Sheet Request."
- In the body of the e-mail, (a) candidate's name, (b) candidate number, (c) exam name, (d) date of exam, (e) exam location, and (f) mailing address to be used for regular USPS mail delivery. Please note that the Society of Actuaries will mail a copy of the answer sheet to the mailing address indicated in the e-mail request. Upon request the Society of Actuaries will e-mail a .PDF of the answer sheet to the candidate.