The Filing Information Returns Electronically (FIRE) System is available to transmit Form 1097-BTC, Form 1098 series, Form 1099 series, Form 3921, Form 3922, Form 5498 series, Form W-2G, Form 1042-S, Form 8027, or Form 8955-SSA:
- Submit Form 4419, Application for Filing Information Returns Electronically (FIRE) to request authorization to transmit through the FIRE System and obtain a Transmitter Control Code (TCC).
- Form 4419 is mandated to be electronically filed when requesting an original TCC. Submit an online fill-in Form 4419 located within the FIRE System.
- To transmit files electronically through FIRE, you must have software, a service provider, or an in-house programmer that will create the file in the proper format per the requirements and record layouts located in publications. A scanned or PDF copy will not be accepted.
- Only submit paper Form 4419 to revise current TCC information or request an additional TCC.
- When your application is approved, correspondence will be issued advising of your TCC.
- You don't need to reapply for a TCC each year. However, you must apply for a new TCC if you haven't used your TCC for 2 consecutive years.
- If your files were previously transmitted by a service bureau using the service bureau's TCC and you now want to transmit your files yourself, you must apply for a TCC.
- For further information, refer to Publication 1220, Specifications for Electronic Filing of Forms 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, 5498, and W-2G (PDF).
Filers of Forms 1094-B, 1095-B, 1094-C, and 1095-C, see Affordable Care Act Information Returns (AIR) Program for information about filing these forms.
Filers of Form 8966, FATCA Report, see IDES Resources and Publication 5190, International Data Exchange Services User Guide (PDF) for more information.