Free File Fillable Forms is available from mid-January thru October 15.
The Free File Fillable Forms program is not mobile device friendly. Most account issues arise when you do not follow the recommended operating systems and browsers. Review the Minimum Computer Requirements.
See the User's Guide on how to create an account.
You must create a new account each year. Once created, verify your email address before starting your return. Account access is available until the program closes.
- October 15 is the last day to create an account and efile a return
- You have until October 20 to retransmit a rejected return or print a return
- On October 21, the program closes for the year and
- You cannot access the account you created
- You cannot retrieve/view any information you entered
- You cannot print your return
After October 20, all accounts, and related tax information, is erased from the servers.
- Once erased, prior year tax information is not retrievable.
- If you need a copy of an IRS accepted return, use Get Transcript.
User ID and Password Problems - Select the link “I forgot my user ID or password” and follow these steps:
- Enter your email address on the next screen and select “Continue”
- You should receive a screen to check your e-mail
- Check your email for a message from email@example.com
- If you received the email, exit the Free File Fillable Forms (if not, try again)
- You should recognize the user name in the email, select “reset password”
- Follow the prompts from there to recover your account
“Forgot User ID/ Password” did not work - If you did not create a new account for the current tax year, you need to "Create an Account.” If you created a new account, then your browser and/or operating system may be the problem. Review the Minimum Computer Requirements and follow the instructions for receiving a processing error.
Processing Errors – Sometimes logging out and then back in will solve the problem. If that does not work:
- Make sure you have the Minimum Computer Requirements
- Exit Free File Fillable Forms
- Close all programs and browser sessions
- Open one browser and delete your cache
- Turn off any auto-fill features and pop-up blockers
See the User's Guide (PDF) if you experience any of these issues:
- Error 503 CODE
- Error 500 CODE
- Updating or deleting your account
- Not receiving expected email from firstname.lastname@example.org
If you continue to have problems, creating an account, Contact Us.