Understanding Your CP71H Notice


What this notice is about

This is an annual reminder of the shared responsibility payment for tax year 2016.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully.
  • Pay the amount due by the due date on the notice’s payment coupon or make payment arrangements, if you can’t pay the full amount you owe.
  • Contact us immediately if you disagree with the changes we made.

Frequently asked questions

What is the shared responsibility payment (SRP)?
It's the assessed payment for not having minimum essential health coverage for you and, if applicable, your dependents per Internal Revenue Code Section 5000A - Individual shared responsibility payment.

What should I do if I disagree with the changes you made?
Call us immediately at the toll-free number on the top right corner of your notice.

What happens if I can't pay the full amount I owe now?
You can apply for a payment plan, or by calling us at the toll-free number on the top right corner of your notice.

Am I charged interest on the money I owe?
Not if you pay the full amount you owe by the date on the payment coupon. However, interest accrues on the unpaid amount after that date. See the interest explanation section of your notice.

Will I receive a penalty if I can't pay the full amount?
No. The law prohibits us from using liens or levies to collect any individual SRP. However, if you owe an SRP, we may offset that liability against any tax refund that may be due to you.

What if I need to make a correction to my tax return?
You'll need to file Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Tips for next year

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.

Need Help?