IRS Summertime Tax Tip 2013-21, August 19, 2013
If you’re a student or teacher, the summer months may be a nice break from class, but they’re also a good time to learn something new. A quick and simple way to learn about taxes is by using the IRS Understanding Taxes program.
The program is a free online tool designed in partnership with teachers for classroom use. The interactive tool is a great resource for middle, high school or community college students. However, anyone can use it to learn about the history, theory and application of taxes in the U.S.
Here are seven reasons why you should consider exploring the Understanding Taxes program:
- Understanding Taxes makes learning about federal taxes easy, relevant and fun. It features 38 lessons that help students understand the American tax system. Best of all, it’s free!
- The site map helps users quickly navigate through all parts of the program and skip to different lessons and interactive activities.
- A series of tax tutorials guide students through the basics of tax preparation. Other features include a glossary of tax terms and a chance to test your knowledge through tax trivia. Interactive activities encourage students to apply their knowledge using real world simulations.
- Understanding Taxes makes teaching taxes as easy as ABC:
- Accessible (web-based)
- Brings learning to life
- It’s easy to add to a school’s curriculum. Teachers can customize the program to fit their own personal style with lesson plans and activities for the classroom. They will also find links to state and national educational standards.
- The program is available 24 hours a day. All you have to do is access the IRS website and type “Understanding Taxes” in the search box.
- There are no registration or login requirements to access the program. That means people can take a break and return to a lesson at any time.
You can use the Understanding Taxes anytime during the year. The IRS usually updates the program each fall to reflect current tax law and new tax forms.
Additional IRS Resources:
IRS YouTube Videos:
- Understanding Taxes – English | ASL