Extension filers can start with IRS.gov to find answers to tax questions

Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.

IRS Tax Tip 2018–80, May 23, 2018

This summer, many taxpayers who received an extension might have questions about the 2017 tax returns they are filing. Here are tools and resources on the IRS website that can help these taxpayers find the help they need:

Researching an answer to a tax question

Checking on a refund status

  • The online Where’s My Refund?  tool allows taxpayers to check the status of a tax refund for the most current tax year they filed.
  • The audio version of Where’s My Refund? is available by calling 800-829-1954.

Making a payment

  • IRS.gov/account lets taxpayers securely access information about their federal tax account. They can view the amount they owe, access their tax records online, and review the past 18 months of payment history. 
  • IRS Direct Pay is a free, secure way to pay online directly from a checking or savings account.
  • The Electronic Federal Tax Payment System has online and phone options.
  • The  IRS2Go app allows taxpayers to pay online, by phone or with a mobile device and get instant payment confirmation. 

Getting forms and publications

All IRS forms, instructions and publications are available on the IRS.gov website, which continues to be the best way to access them. 

More Information:

Subscribe to IRS Tax Tips