IRS Tax Tip 2018-34, March 6, 2018
With April 17 tax filing deadline quickly approaching, the IRS reminds taxpayers that most of them qualify for free tax filing with IRS Free File. The special service is available on IRS.gov and through the IRS2Go mobile app. Both Android and iOS users can download this app. Taxpayers can use Free File to prepare and e-file their federal taxes either through brand-name software or using online fillable forms.
Here are the top ten facts about Free File:
- Individuals or families with 2017 adjusted gross incomes of $66,000 or less can use Free File software.
- There is no income limit to use Free File Fillable Forms, which are electronic versions of IRS paper forms.
- Taxpayers can prepare their return at any time and schedule a tax payment as late as the April 17 deadline.
- Taxpayers who cannot meet the April tax filing deadline can also use IRS Free File to request an automatic six-month extension. An extension gives them until Oct. 15, 2018, to file their return.
- Each of the 12 commercial companies in the Free File Alliance has its own special offer.
- Offers from software companies are generally based on age, income or state residency.
- Taxpayers can review each company offer individually or the taxpayer can use a “Lookup” tool. This tool will help the taxpayer find the software for which they are eligible.
- Some of the companies also offer free state return preparation.
- Active duty military personnel with incomes of $66,000 or less may use any IRS Free File software product of their choice without regard to the criteria.
- IRS Free File software does the work, including the math. It walks users through the tax preparation process using a series of questions while also helping to find tax changes that may affect their return.