- About this guide
- Application overview
- Information for specific technologies, issues, and guidance
This guide is intended to assist individuals with disabilities in their use of the ID Verify application. The guide will provide direction in accessing the features available in ID Verify using specific technologies, including screen readers, screen magnifiers, and speech recognition software.
The identity verification service is a mobile-friendly digital tool that allows taxpayers who received an IRS 5071C letter to respond to a series of questions online.
Here is some standard guidance for using the JAWS screen reader or VoiceOver. For other screen readers, please refer to the manufacturers guide for basic commands.
|Virtual HTML Features||INSERT + F3|
|List Links||INSERT + F7|
|Prior Link||SHIFT + TAB|
|List Headings||INSERT + F6|
|List of Form Fields||INSERT + F5|
|List Buttons||INSERT + CTRL + B|
|List Combo Boxes||INSERT + CTRL + C|
|List Edit Boxes||INSERT + CTRL + E|
|List Radio Buttons||INSERT + CTRL + A|
|List Check Boxes||INSERT + CTRL + X|
|List Tables||INSERT + CTRL + T|
|Read from Beginning of Row to Current Cell||INSERT + SHIFT + HOME|
|Read from Current Cell to End of Row||INSERT + SHIFT + PAGE UP|
|Read the current row||SHIFT + UP ARROW|
|Read the current column||SHIFT + NUMPAD 5|
|List Frames||INSERT + F9|
|List All Ordered, Unordered, and Definition Lists||INSERT + CTRL + L|
- JAWS announces paragraph text multiple times when it's selected using the Paragraph list command from Virtual HTML. Use the arrow key to read the full paragraph text.
|Find the next heading||VO + Command + H|
|Find the previous heading||VO + Command + Shift + H|
|Find the next control||VO + Command + J|
|Find the previous control||SHIFT + TAB|
|Find the next Table||VO + Command + T|
|Find the previous Table||VO + Command + Shift + T|
|Find the next Link||VO + Command + L|
|Find the previous Link||VO + Command + Shift + L|
|Find the next Paragraph||VO + Shift + Page Down|
|Find the previous Paragraph||VO + Shift + Page Up|
|Read the next Sentence||VO + Command + Page Down|
|Read the next Line||VO + Down Arrow|
|Read the previous Line||VO + Up Arrow|
|Read everything visible in the window or the Dock, or on your desktop, depending on your location||VO + Shift + W|
- TalkBack keyboard commands for Android 4.1 or higher
- Move to next item: Alt + Shift+ Right arrow
- Move topreviou item: Alt + Shift + Left arrow
- Move to first item: Alt + Shift + Up arrow
- Move to last item: Alt + Shift + Down arrow
- Click focused element: Alt + Shift + Enter
- Global actions
- Back: Alt + Shift + Backspace
- Home: Alt + Shift + h
- Recent apps/Overview: Alt + Shift + r
- Notifications: Alt + Shift + n
- Search the screen: Alt + Shift + / (forward slash)
- Next navigation setting: Alt + Shift + Equals (=)
- Previous navigation setting: Alt + Shift + Minus (-)
- Open global context menu: Alt + Shift + g
- Open local context menu: Alt + Shift + L
- Stop TalkBack speech: Control
- Pause or resume TalkBack: Alt + Shift + z
- On some of the ID Verify pages there are "Continue" buttons that are inactive until a user makes a radio button selection and/or completes the necessary text fields. When these "Continue" buttons are disabled TalkBack only announces "Continue button" and when the buttons are enabled TalkBack announces "Continue Button Double tap to activate".
- TalkBack is not reading each digit individually in the Control number field. For example, the following Control number "12345678910234" would be read as: "Twelve trillion, thirty-four billion, etc."
- For some versions of iOS VoiceOver there is a known issue where the count of Form Controls or Buttons will include the browser's built in controls in addition to any form controls that are present on the web page. For example, VO may include the back button, forward button, refresh button, and other built in controls. For the ID Verify Application there are only ever 3 form controls or buttons at any given time on the page.
- There is a known issue on iOS 12 and higher where VoiceOver does not announce second to last digit being deleted from an input field.
- VoiceOver may announce "Form Start" at different places throughout the Identify Verification application. "Form Start" refers to portions of the webpage that accept user input, not a specific IRS tax form.
|Virtual HTML Features||INSERT + F3|
|Increase magnification||ALT + NUMPAD PLUS|
|Decrease magnification||ALT + NUMPAD MINUS|
|Turn color enhancements on and off||CTRL + SHIFT + C|
|Font Enhancements (xFont, Standard and None)||CTRL + SHIFT + F|
|Turn the microphone on or off||Plus key (+) on the numeric keypad|
|Open the Correction menu||Minus key (-) on the numeric keypad|
|Force words to be recognized as commands||Press and hold down the CTRL key|
|Force words to be recognized as dictation||Press and hold down the SHIFT key|
|Open the Naturally Speaking menu||Asterisk key (*) on the numeric keypad|
|Put the microphone to sleep or wake it up||Slash key (/) on the numeric keypad|
|Press-to-talk||Zero key (0) on the numeric keypad|
- For best results use Dragon NaturallySpeaking v14 for Windows or v6 for macOS.