Validate Your Identity After Signing Your Electronic Tax Return
When self-preparing your taxes, you must verify your identity on your electronic tax return by entering your date of birth and either your prior-year Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or your prior- year Self-Select PIN. Using an electronic filing PIN is no longer an option.
Generally, your tax preparation software will populate your prior-year AGI or Self-Select PIN automatically if you’re a returning user.
There are several ways to find your prior-year AGI:
You should always retain a copy of your tax return.
- On your 2015 tax return, your AGI is on line 37 of the Form 1040; line 21 on the Form 1040-A or line 4 on the Form 1040-EZ.
- If you used a paid preparer last year, you might obtain a copy of last year’s tax return from that preparer.
- If you are using the same tax preparation software that you used last year, that software will likely have your prior-year tax return for you to access.
- If you’re not using the same tax preparation software as last year, you may be able to return to your prior-year software and view an electronic copy of your prior-year return.
If you do not have a copy of your 2015 tax return, you may use a Get Transcript self-help tool to get a Tax Return Transcript showing your AGI.
- Use Get Transcript Online to immediately view your AGI. You must pass the Secure Access identity verification process. Select the Tax Return Transcript and use only the “Adjusted Gross Income” line entry.
- Use Get Transcript by Mail or call 800-908-9946 if you cannot pass Secure Access and need to request a Tax Return Transcript. Please allow 5 to 10 days for delivery. Use only the “Adjusted Gross Income” line entry.