IRS Tax Tip 2016-02, January 20, 2016
Millions of Americans have safely filed their taxes and saved money using IRS Free File, and you can, too. You can use name-brand software or fillable forms to prepare and electronically file your federal tax return – for free. Combined with direct deposit, choosing e-file is the quickest way to get your refund.
Here are some tips about IRS Free File:
- Get Started at the IRS Website. The only way to use IRS Free File is through the IRS website. Once you choose a Free File company, you’ll click on a link to their website to prepare and e-file your federal tax return.
- Find Tax Breaks. The question and answer format of tax software will help you find tax breaks. This could include tax credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit. The software selects the appropriate tax forms and does the calculations for you. Free File can help with the health care law tax provisions as well.
- Free for All. If you made $62,000 or less you can use brand-name software. If you earned more, you can use Free File Fillable Forms. This option allows you to complete IRS forms electronically. It is best for people who are used to doing their own taxes.
- Easy Online Extensions. If you can’t finish your tax return by the April 18 deadline, it’s easy to use Free File to ask for a six-month extension. An extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay. If you owe federal taxes, you need to estimate the amount and pay it with your request to avoid penalties and interest.
The IRS partners with leading tax software companies, the Free File Alliance, to make this service available. Some companies offer free state tax return preparation as well. Choose your option.
Each and every taxpayer has a set of fundamental rights they should be aware of when dealing with the IRS. These are your Taxpayer Bill of Rights. Explore your rights and our obligations to protect them on IRS.gov.
Additional IRS Resources:
IRS YouTube Video:
- Welcome to Free File – English (Obsolete)