COVID Tax Tip 2020-81, July 7, 2020
Taxpayers who live and work abroad have until Wednesday, July 15, 2020 to file and pay their 2019 federal income taxes.
U.S. citizens and resident aliens generally have the same filing and payment requirements regardless of where they live. The July 15 postponed deadline also applies to nonresident aliens and foreign entities with a U.S. filing and payment requirement.
Taxpayers who still owe 2019 income tax, as well as estimated tax for 2020, must make two separate payments on or by July 15, 2020: One for their 2019 income taxes owed and one for their 2020 estimated tax payments. The two estimated tax payments can be combined into a single payment.
How to file electronically
Taxpayers living abroad have a number of electronic options for filing their 2019 tax return.
- IRS Free File provides free brand-name software for taxpayers who earned $69,000 or less in 2019.
- Free File Fillable Forms is for taxpayers doing their own taxes and is an electronic version of IRS paper forms that can be filed online. It is available for taxpayers who earned more than $69,000 in 2019.
- Taxpayers can use commercial tax prep software to prepare and file their taxes electronically. The software uses IRS approved electronic channels to submit tax returns.
- Find an authorized e-File provider. The Directory of Federal Tax Return Preparers with Credentials and Select Qualifications is a searchable database of tax professionals.
How to pay
The IRS offers several convenient ways to make electronic tax payments:
- IRS Direct Pay
- Debit or credit card
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System
- Electronic Funds Withdrawal
- Same-day wire
- Check or money order
How to get more time to file
Those who need more time to file beyond July 15, 2020 can request an extension to file. To get an extension to file, taxpayers must do one of the following:
- File Form 4868 through their tax professional, tax software or using IRS Free File on IRS.gov
- Submit an electronic payment with Direct Pay, Electronic Federal Tax Payment System or by debit, credit card or digital wallet and select Form 4868 or extension as the payment type
An extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay. Even with an extension, taxes must be paid by July 15, 2020.