IRS Tax Tip 2016-60, April 12, 2016
Tax help is at your fingertips at IRS.gov. The IRS website offers quick, around-the-clock access to information and easy-to-use tax tools. Here are some reasons to make IRS.gov your one-stop shop for tax help from the IRS.
- Use IRS Free File. You can prepare and e-file your federal taxes for free with IRS Free File. If you made $62,000 or less, you can use free brand name tax software. If you earned more, you can use Free File Fillable Forms, the electronic version of IRS paper forms. Either way, you have a free e-file option, and the only way you can access it is on IRS.gov.
- Options for Electronic Filing. You should file electronically whether you qualify for free volunteer help, do your own taxes or get help from a tax preparer. IRS e-file, which includes Free File, is the easiest, safest and most popular way to file a complete and accurate tax return. The fastest way to get your refund is to combine e-file with direct deposit. You get your refund in less than 21 days, in most cases. If you owe taxes, e-file has several easy pay options.
- Help at Any Time. IRS.gov is always available. Use the “Filing” link on our home page for all your federal tax needs. The Interactive Tax Assistant tool and the IRS Tax Map can answer many of your tax law questions. You can view, download or print tax products right away. Many IRS tools and products are also available in Spanish.
- Find a Tax Preparer. The Directory of Tax Return Preparers tool will search for and sort a list of tax preparers in your area based on the credentials and qualifications that you prefer.
- Check Your Refund. You can track your refund using ‘Where’s My Refund?’. It’s quick, easy and secure. You can check the status of your return within 24 hours after the IRS has received your e-filed return. If you file a paper return, you can check your refund status four weeks after you mail it. Once the IRS approves your refund, the tool will give you a date to expect it. The IRS updates refund status for the tool no more than once a day.
- Pay Tax Online. Electronic payments are a convenient and safe way to pay taxes. The IRS Direct Pay tool is the fastest and easiest way to pay the tax you owe. Visit IRS.gov/directpay to access it and pay directly from your checking or savings account. If you can’t pay all your taxes in full, use the Online Payment Agreement to apply for an installment agreement.
- Use the EITC Assistant. The Earned Income Tax Credit may apply to you if you worked and earned less than $53,267 in 2015. The credit can be worth up to $6,242. Use the EITC Assistant tool to find out if you’re eligible. To get the EITC, you must file a federal income tax return. You can use Free File to prepare your federal taxes and claim the EITC.
- Figure Your Withholding. The IRS Withholding Calculator can help you avoid having too much or too little income tax withheld from your pay. You can use it anytime throughout the year to stay on target.
- Get Health Care Tax Information. You can get details about Affordable Care Act tax provisions on IRS.gov/aca. Visit this site to find out how the health care law affects your taxes, including:
- Reporting health insurance coverage and what to do with the new health care forms.
- Claiming an exemption from the coverage requirement.
- Making an individual shared responsibility payment.
- Claiming the premium tax credit.
- Reconciling advance payments of the premium tax credit.
Each and every taxpayer has a set of fundamental rights they should be aware of when dealing with the IRS. These are your Taxpayer Bill of Rights. Explore your rights and our obligations to protect them on IRS.gov.
IRS YouTube Videos:
- Welcome to Free File – English (Obsolete)
- Interactive Tax Assistant – English | ASL (Obsolete)
- When Will I Get My Refund? – English | Spanish | ASL (Obsolete)
- IRS Tax Payment Options – English | ASL (Obsolete)
- IRS Withholding Calculator – Spanish | ASL (Obsolete)
- Interactive Tax Assistant – English (Obsolete)
- When Will I Get My Refund? – English | Spanish (Obsolete)
- IRS Withholding Calculator – English | Spanish (Obsolete)