IRS Health Care Tax Tip 2016-63, August 3, 2016
The IRS knows that you want to understand how the health care law may affect you when filing your taxes next year. When questions come up, IRS.gov/aca is a great place for you to begin finding the answers you need – when you need them.
At IRS.gov/aca, you’ll find frequently asked questions, legal guidance, and links to other useful sites. You can also access valuable information about specific topics, including the premium tax credit and individual shared responsibility provision for individuals.
Resources for Individuals and Families
You can use social media tools to find information about the health care law.
- IRS Videos Health Care playlist on YouTube
- Individual Shared Responsibility – Overview (obsolete)
- Premium Tax Credit: Change in Circumstances
- @IRSNews on Twitter
Our step-by-step charts and graphics will help you understand ACA and its tax-related provisions
- Health Care Law and You
- Health Care Law and Your Tax Return
- The Health Care Law and Your Taxes (PDF)
- Premium Tax Credit Flow Chart: Are You Eligible
The Interactive Tax Assistant tool is a tax law resource that takes you through a series of questions and provides you with responses to tax law questions.
- Am I Eligible to Claim the Premium Tax Credit?
- Am I Eligible for a Coverage Exemption or Required to Make an Individual Shared Responsibility Payment?
Electronic publications covering topics to help you understand ACA:
- Publication 5185, Health Care: Making Shared Responsibility Payments (PDF) (obsolete)
- Publication 5172, Facts about Health Coverage Exemptions (PDF)
- Publication 5156, Facts about the Individual Shared Responsibility Provision (PDF) (obsolete)
- Publication 974, Premium Tax Credit (PTC) (PDF)
- Publication 5121, Facts about the Premium Tax Credit; Need help paying for health insurance premiums? (PDF) (obsolete)
- Publication 5152, Report Changes To The Marketplace As They Happen (PDF)
Our questions and answers cover a wide range of topics related to the health care law:
- Health care information forms for individuals
- Corrected, Incorrect or Voided Forms 1095-A for Tax Years 2014 and 2015
- Individual shared responsibility
- Premium tax credit
The Taxpayer Advocate Service Estimator tools assist you in estimating credits and payments related to the Affordable Care Act.
You can access a web-based IRS flyer, Health Care Law Online Resources, for links to other federal agencies that also have a role in the health care law.
We also translate many of our ACA resources into Spanish; they are available at Disposiciones Tributarias de la Ley de Cuidado de Salud a Bajo Precio (Affordable Care Act (ACA) Tax Provisions (in Spanish)).
Visit the Health Care playlist on the IRS YouTube channel