Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Forming a Corporation

In forming a corporation, prospective shareholders exchange money, property, or both, for the corporation's capital stock. A corporation generally takes the same deductions as a sole proprietorship to figure its taxable income. A corporation can also take special deductions. For federal income tax purposes, a C corporation is recognized as a separate taxpaying entity. A corporation conducts business, realizes net income or loss, pays taxes and distributes profits to shareholders.

The profit of a corporation is taxed to the corporation when earned, and then is taxed to the shareholders when distributed as dividends. This creates a double tax. The corporation does not get a tax deduction when it distributes dividends to shareholders. Shareholders cannot deduct any loss of the corporation.

If you are a C corporation, use the information in the chart below to help you determine some of the forms you may be required to file.

Corporations that have assets of $10 million or more and file at least 250 returns annually are required to electronically file their Forms 1120 and 1120S for tax years ending on or after December 31, 2007. For more e-file information, see e-file for Business and Self-Employed Taxpayers.


If you are a C corporation or an S corporation then you may be liable for... Use Form... Separate Instructions...
Income Tax 1120, U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return (PDF) Instructions for Form 1120 U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return (PDF)
Estimated tax 1120-W, Estimated Tax for Corporations (PDF) Instructions for Form 1120-W (PDF)
Employment taxes
  • Social security and Medicare taxes and income tax withholding
  • Federal unemployment (FUTA) tax
941, Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return (PDF) or


943, Employer's Annual Federal Tax Return for Agricultural Employees (PDF) (for farm employees)


940, Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax return (PDF)

Instructions for Form 941 (PDF)


Instructions for Form 943 (PDF) 


Instructions for Form 940 (PDF)

Excise Taxes Refer to the Excise Tax Web page  

Rate the Small Business and Self-Employed Website