The IRS has a Tax Counseling for the Elderly Program which offers FREE tax help to individuals who are aged 60 or older. Trained volunteers from non-profit organizations provide free tax counseling and basic income tax return preparation for senior citizens. Volunteers who provide tax counseling are often retired individuals associated with non-profit organizations that receive grants from the IRS. This cooperative agreement is authorized by Section 163 of the Revenue Act of 1978, Public Law No. 95-600, 92 Stat. 2810, November 6, 1978.
As part of the IRS-sponsored TCE Program, AARP offers the Tax-Aide program, assisting with tax services in every state and the District of Columbia in places such as senior centers, libraries, community centers, and other convenient locations across the country. Trained and certified AARP Tax-Aide volunteer counselors help people of low-to-middle income with special attention to those aged 60 and older. For more information on TCE call 800-829-1040. To locate the nearest AARP Tax-Aide site, call 888-227-7669 or visit AARP's website.
For more information on managing a complete TCE program, see Publication 1101, Application and Guidelines for Managing a TCE (Tax Counseling for Elderly) Program .
Persons with Disabilities
- Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses
- Publication 524, Credit for the Elderly or Disabled
- Publication 907, Tax Highlights for Persons with Disabilities
- Publication 3966, Taxpayers with Disabilities
Planning for Retirement?
- Retirement Savings Contributions Credit (Savers Credit)
- Choosing a Retirement Plan: 403(b) Tax-Sheltered Annuity Plan
- Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits
- Resources - IRA-based Plans
- Choosing a Retirement Plan
- FAQs regarding IRAs
- Publication 554, Tax Guide for Seniors
- Publication 575, Pension and Annuity Income
- Publication 590-A, Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
- Publication 590-B, Distributions from Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
- Publication 721, Tax Guide to U.S. Civil Service Retirement Benefits
- Publication 915, Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits
Mutual Fund Distributions
- Publication 4334, SIMPLE IRA Publication
- Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax
- Publication 523, Selling Your Home
- Form 8822, Change of Address
- Form 1040 (Schedule R), Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled
- Pensions and Annuity Withholding
- Tax Withholding
- Form W-4P, Withholding Certificate for Pension or Annuity Payments
- Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals
Many people today need more time to prepare their federal tax return. They may want to consider an extension of time to file. However, extension of time to file a return does not grant any extension of time to pay a tax liability.