Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Changed Your Name After Marriage or Divorce? (ASL) - YouTube video text script

Hi, Jeshal, and I work for the IRS.

If you changed your name after a recent marriage, divorce, or for some other reason, you need to notify the Social Security Administration of that change before you file your tax return.

Otherwise, IRS computers can’t match your new name with your social security number, and names that don't match can cause problems when we process your return.

It could even delay your refund.

To update your records, use Form SS-5, the application for a Social Security card.

You can get it from the Social Security Administration’s website at  

Whether you file Form SS-5 at your local Social Security office or by mail, you’ll need to provide documents to support your legal name change, such as an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate.

For more information, go to