The Dirty Dozen represents the worst of the worst tax scams.
Compiled annually, the “Dirty Dozen” lists a variety of common scams that taxpayers may encounter anytime but many of these schemes peak during filing season as people prepare their returns or hire someone to help with their taxes. Don’t fall prey.
For a detailed description of each scam, please refer to the list below:
- IRS wraps up ‘Dirty Dozen’ list of tax scams for 2018; Encourages taxpayers to remain vigilant - See IR-2018-66
- IRS: Offshore tax cheating remains on ‘Dirty Dozen’ list of tax scams - See IR-2018-64
- IRS 2018 ‘Dirty Dozen’ tax scams: Abusive tax shelters make the list - See IR-2018-62
- IRS warns against frivolous tax arguments; Part of ‘Dirty Dozen’ scams list - See IR-2018-58
- Falsified income, fake Forms 1099 part of IRS ‘Dirty Dozen’ - See IR-2018-55
- Falsely padding deductions highlighted in IRS 2018 ‘Dirty Dozen’ tax scams - See IR-2018-54
- IRS ‘Dirty Dozen’ list of tax scams for 2018 contains warning to avoid improper claims for business credits - See IR-2018-49
- Taxpayers alerted against falsely inflated refunds in ‘Dirty Dozen’ list; Seniors, many others at risk - See IR-2018-48
- Fake charities make 2018 ‘Dirty Dozen’ list; taxpayers should be alert to scams involving disasters, worthwhile causes - See IR-2018-47.
- Tax Return Preparer Fraud Ranks on 2018 ‘Dirty Dozen’: Taxpayers Urged to Choose Reputable Tax Preparers - See IR-2018-45.
- Despite Major Progress, Identity Theft Still on IRS ‘Dirty Dozen’ Tax Scams List - See IR-2018-42
- Phone Scams Pose Serious Threat; Remain on IRS ‘Dirty Dozen’ List of Tax Scams - See IR-2018-40.
- Phishing Schemes Make IRS ‘Dirty Dozen’ List of Tax Scams for 2018; Individuals, Businesses, Tax Pros Urged to Remain Vigilant - See IR-2018-39.
Prior year information on the IRS Dirty Dozen:
2017 – IRS Summarizes "Dirty Dozen" List of Tax Scams for 2017
2016 - IRS Wraps Up the Dirty Dozen List of Tax Scams for 2016
2015 - IRS Completes the Dirty Dozen Tax Scams for 2015
2014 - IRS Releases the Dirty Dozen Tax Scams for 2014