Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

(ASL) - YouTube video text script - Missing W-2

Hi, I’m Maria, and I work for the IRS.

What if you want to file your tax return, but you still don’t have your W-2?

Employers should send this to you by January 31st.

Give it a few weeks to arrive in the mail.

But if you don't get it by the end of February, the first thing you should do is check with your employer.

And if you moved, make sure they have your new address.

If you still don't get your W-2, you must file on time anyway.

The good news is that you can use Form 4852 instead of your W-2.

List your estimated wages and withholding on the form.

You can use a pay stub or similar statement to help you estimate the amounts.

If later on you receive your W-2 and discover your estimate was off, you will have to correct your tax return.

Do this by filling out Form 1040-X.

Just keep in mind, your amended return can take up to 16 weeks to process.

Finally, if you tried to get your W-2 from your employer, and you still haven’t received it by the end of February, you may call the IRS through video relay service and we'll send a letter to your employer.

You can learn more at and download Form 4852 at