Finding Out How Much You Owe
If you received a notice or letter, it shows your due date for payment, the amount you need to pay, and instructions on what to do next. You can find detailed options for paying your balance due on our Payments page.
If your payment due date has passed
Follow the instructions in your notice to find out how much you currently need to pay. Once you have this amount, you can find payment options on our Payments page.
Please note that penalties and interest continue to grow until your balance is fully paid.
If you don't have your notice or letter
Even a partial payment can help save you money by reducing future penalties and interest. Don't delay just because you can't find the notice, you aren't sure whether we sent one, or you can't reach an IRS customer service representative.
An account transcript can help if you want to:
- Find out whether you owe something.
- Find out if we credited a payment to your account.
- An account transcript takes 5 to 10 days to reach you if you request it by mail.
- The "payoff amount" listed on a transcript may not include the most recent penalties, interest, changes or pending actions.
- Transcripts aren't immediately available if you recently filed a return. Please check our transcript availability page to see if enough time has passed to request one.
- You must request a separate account transcript covering each tax year or tax period for which you might owe.
If you're a business, or an individual who filed a form other than 1040, you can obtain a transcript by submitting Form 4506-T or calling one of the phone numbers listed below.
If you're an individual taxpayer who filed Form 1040, go to Get Transcript and follow the instructions. When asked which type of transcript you want, choose "Account Transcript."
For the most current balance information, you can call a toll-free IRS telephone number:
- Individual taxpayers in the United States: 800-829-1040, Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time.
- Business taxpayers in the United States: 800-829-4933, Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time.
- International callers or overseas taxpayers