Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Request for Transcript of Tax Return


Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers engaged in a trade or business who pay compensation
Installment Agreement Request

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Life Cycle of a Private Foundation - Required Filings

Although they are exempt from income taxation, exempt organizations, including private foundations, are generally required to file annual returns of their income and expenses with the Internal Revenue Service. If an organization has unrelated business income tax, it must file an unrelated business income tax return . In addition to filing an annual exempt organization return, foundations may be required to file employment tax and other reports and returns, as discussed under Ongoing Compliance . See Power of Attorney if your organization will be represented by an agent or attorney, whether in person or by correspondence, in connection with your return.

You can get help with questions about ongoing compliance requirements, including required filings, from the IRS Exempt Organizations Division.

Additional information


Return to Life Cycle of a Private Foundation