Retrieve Your Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN)

If we assigned you an Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) and you lost it or you didn't receive our CP01A Notice with your new IP PIN, you'll need to retrieve it or have it reissued to e-file your return.

We assigned you an IP PIN if you:

  • Received a CP01A Notice
  • Opted-in to receive an IP PIN
  • Tried to e-file your tax return and it was ‘rejected because you didn't include an IP PIN’

How to retrieve your IP PIN online

You may use our Get an IP PIN online tool to retrieve your current IP PIN. If you don’t already have an account on, you will be asked to register for an account and validate your identity.

If you previously created an online account and obtained an IP PIN, access Get an IP PIN and log in to your account. You may be required to verify your identity again due to our increased account security.

How to get your IP PIN reissued

If you're unable to retrieve your IP PIN online, you may call us at 800-908-4490 for specialized assistance, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time), to have your IP PIN reissued. An assistor will verify your identity and mail your IP PIN to your address of record within 21 days.


  • It’s after October 14 and you haven’t filed your current or prior year Forms 1040 or 1040 PR/SS.

If you fall under the exception and if you cannot access the Get an IP PIN online tool, your best alternative at this time is to file your tax return by paper without your IP PIN.

You’ll need to complete and mail a paper tax return without your IP PIN. We’ll review your return to confirm it’s yours, but this may delay any refund you’re due.

Existing IP PIN users seeking to retrieve their numbers should not apply for a new IP PIN with Form 15227. The Form 15227 application process is only for taxpayers who are newly opting into the program and do not already have an IP PIN requirement.

If you file your return without your IRS assigned IP PIN:

  • We’ll reject your electronic return, and you won't be able to e-file
  • We’ll subject your paper return to additional screenings to validate your identity, delaying any refund you may be due