FAQs for Indian Tribal Governments regarding Communications, Publications and Sources of Information


These frequently asked questions and answers are provided for general information only and should not be cited as any type of legal authority. They are designed to provide the user with information required to respond to general inquiries. Due to the uniqueness and complexities of Indian law and Federal tax law, it is imperative to ensure a full understanding of the specific question presented, and to perform the requisite research to ensure a correct response is provided.


  1. What types of publications, communications, and information sources are available for Indian tribal governments?
  2. Where do I get forms and publications?
  3. What are Internal Revenue Bulletins and how do I get them?
  4. Does the IRS assist Indian tribes with federal tax issues that impact them?
  5. Are there publications that address filing requirements of Indian tribal gaming operations?
  6. Is there a toll-free number for tax assistance for Tax Exempt and Government Entities?
  7. How do I find out which tribes are federally recognized tribes?
  8. How do I find out how to become a federally recognized tribe?
  9. Who do you call to get answers to State Government questions regarding Indian tribal issues?
  10. What is the National Indian Gaming Commission?
  11. How can I locate the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site nearest to my home?
  12. What is the Taxpayer Advocate Service and how do I contact them?

For questions regarding tax return account matters, tax deposits or filing requirements, please contact our Customer Account Services staff toll-free at

For questions on any tribal tax matter, please e-mail us. Be sure to include your name, your phone number and your email address so that we can respond to your question.