Do I need to change my former name to my married name on my social security card for us to file jointly?

No. You can elect "married filing jointly" filing status without changing your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA).

  • Make sure that the name shown on your social security card matches the name you use on your tax return.
  • If you haven’t changed your name with the SSA, you'll need to show your former name on the tax return instead of your married name to avoid delays.

For information on changing your name on your social security card due to marriage, visit Social Security Administration or call them at 800-772-1213 (TTY 800-325-0778).