If I file my Form 1040 or 1040-SR electronically, what do I do with my Forms W-2?

You'll use the information from your Forms W-2 to complete your tax return. After filing, retain a copy of the forms for your records. When filing electronically:

  • You must provide a copy of your Forms W-2 to the authorized IRS e-file provider before the provider sends the electronic return to the IRS.
  • You don't need to send your Forms W-2 to the IRS and should keep them in a safe place with a copy of your tax return.
  • Use Form 8453, U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file Return to mail any paper documents that need to be sent to the IRS after your return has been accepted electronically.

For general information about e-file, refer to Electronic Filing Options for Individuals.