Owe Taxes But Can't Pay? - YouTube video text script

Are you putting off filing your tax return because you owe money but can't pay?

You shouldn't.

The I-R-S can help you if you're having trouble paying all the taxes you owe at once.

But you must take action.

Here's what you need to do.

First…before the tax deadline…either file your tax return or get an automatic extension of time to file your tax return.

Remember, the deadline is usually in mid-April for most taxpayers, but there are some different deadlines for

for taxpayers living abroad and people affected by disasters.

You can visit I-R-S-Dot-Gov-Slash-Free File to submit your extension online for free.

This usually gives you until mid-October to file your return and will help you avoid the failure-to-file penalty.

Just remember, this extension to file is not an extension to pay taxes you owe.

Next… you should pay what you can before the tax deadline.

That's because you'll be charged interest and a Failure-to-pay penalty on whatever is left.

So you want the amount you owe to be as small as possible. Then…check out the different payment options we offer… such as an installment agreement or an offer in compromise. Go to I-R-S-Dot-Gov-Slash-Payments for more details.