Here’s how taxpayers can file an extension for more time to file their federal taxes

Avi: Kontni Istorik

Sa a se yon dokiman achiv oswa istorik e li ka pa reprezante lwa, règleman oswa pwosedi aktyèl yo.

IRS Tax Tip 2019-41, April 15, 2019

Taxpayers needing more time to file their taxes can get an automatic six-month extension from the IRS. For most taxpayers, this year’s tax-filing deadline is today, April 15. Taxpayers who live in Maine or Massachusetts have until April 17, 2019 to file their returns. This is because of the Patriots’ Day holiday on April 15 in those two states, and also because the Emancipation Day holiday on April 16 in the District of Columbia.

There are a few different ways taxpayers can file for an extension.

  • IRS Free File. While taxpayers can use IRS Free File to prepare and e-file their taxes for free, they can also use it to e-file a free extension request. The IRS must receive an e-filed extension request by midnight on the day of the filing deadline. Taxpayers can access Free File to prepare and e-file their return through October 15.
  • Form 4868. Taxpayers can request an extension using the Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.
  • Electronic payment options. The IRS will automatically process an extension of time to file when taxpayers pay all or part of their taxes electronically by the April deadline. They don’t need to file a paper or electronic Form 4868 when making a payment with IRS Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System or with a debit or credit card. When paying one of these ways, taxpayers will select “extension” as the reason for the payment. Taxpayers should print out a confirmation as proof of payment and keep it with their records.

Here are a couple things for people filing an extension to remember:

  • More time to file is not more time to pay. An extension to file gives taxpayers more time to file their return, but not more time to pay their taxes. Taxpayers should estimate and pay any owed taxes by the April deadline to help avoid possible penalties.
  • The IRS can help. The IRS offers payment options for taxpayers who can’t pay all the tax they owe. In most cases, they can apply for an installment agreement with the Online Payment Agreement application on They may also file Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request. The IRS will work with taxpayers who can’t make payments because of financial hardship.

More Information:

Subscribe to IRS Tax Tips