Understanding Your CP2501 Notice


What this notice is about

The income or payment information reported to IRS doesn't match the information you reported on your tax return. This discrepancy may cause an increase or decrease in your tax or may not change it at all.

What you need to do

  • Read your notice carefully. It explains the information we received, how to respond, and what will happen if you don’t respond.
  • Complete and return the response form and state whether you agree or disagree with the notice. You can return your response by:
    • Mail using the return address on the enclosed envelope, or
    • Fax your documents to the fax number in the notice using either a fax machine or an online fax service. Protect yourself when sending digital data by understanding the fax service’s privacy and security policies.
  • If you agree with the information, follow the instructions to sign the response form. We require both spouses’ signatures if you filed married filing jointly.
  • If you disagree, complete and return the response form. Provide a signed statement explaining why you disagree and supply any documentation to support your statement.
  • If the information reported to us is not correct, contact the business or person who reported the information. Ask them for a corrected document or a statement to support why it is in error, then send us a copy with your response.

You may want to

Frequently asked questions

We received information from a third party, such as employers or financial institutions, which doesn't match the information you reported on your tax return.

No. The notice informs you of a discrepancy between the information we received, and the information reported on your return. If the discrepancy remains unresolved, or we don’t receive a response to the notice, you may receive a subsequent notice and a bill at a later date.

The response form has instructions on what to do if the information is incorrect.

You can complete and send Form 14039, Identity Theft AffidavitPDF, to us along with the completed response form. You can also go to our identity theft information webpage to find out more about what you can do.

If the information in the notice is correct, or if you have additional income, credits or expenses to report, you may want to complete and submit a Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax ReturnPDF, and return it with a completed response form. If you choose to file an amended return, write "CP2501" on top of your return and attach it behind your completed response form. Send the information in the envelope provided or fax it to the number shown on the notice.

You can request help at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.

We match the information you report on your tax return with information reported to IRS by third parties; such as financial institutions, employers, and other businesses. Due to the complexity of the matching process, it can take months to complete.

Yes, you can call us. We can generally accept your information over the phone for incorrectly reported information. If the information you provide over the phone isn't enough to resolve all the issues, you should mail or fax a signed statement explaining your disagreement and include any documentation that supports your position.

IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers are located throughout the country. Our website can help you find the center nearest to you.

Tips for next year

You can avoid future problems by:

  • keeping accurate and full records.
  • waiting until you get all your income statements to file your tax return.
  • checking the documents you receive from your employer, mortgage company, bank, or other sources of income (Forms W-2s, 1098s, 1099s, etc.) to make sure they're correct.
  • including all your income on your tax return.
  • following the instructions on how to report income, expenses, and deductions.
  • filing an amended tax return for any information you receive after you've filed your return.

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about how to file electronically.

Bezwen èd?