June 26, 2020
Starting Monday, June 29, 2020, the IRS will begin opening its Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) to the public in phases. To ensure the safety of the public and employees, people seeking in-person assistance at a TAC will need to call 844-545-5640 to make an appointment. Appointments will be available if people need assistance for authentication of identity and document validation related to tax return filing or application for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number; Sailing Clearances required for foreign travel by resident and non-resident aliens leaving the United States; assistance with Economic Impact Payment Issues; and cash payments.
For an up-to-date listing of TAC locations as they are opened, go to Contact Your Local IRS Office.
If tax forms and publications are needed, the fastest and easiest way to get them is through IRS.gov. Most tax forms, instructions and publications needed can be downloaded from Forms, Instructions & Publications. After July 19, orders may be placed online at Order Forms & Publications. Taxpayers without access to the internet can call 800-829-3676 to request forms by mail.
IRS live phone assistance is still limited at this time. For Economic Impact Payment questions, call 800-919-9835. For other issues, please visit Let Us Help You to find the phone number for the office best equipped to address your specific concerns.
As a reminder, IRS.gov offers numerous online options for tax help that can save time and effort. Services include:
- Where's My Refund?, check your refund status and estimated delivery date
- Free File, use free tax software offered through IRS partners to allow you to file your taxes online
- Get Transcript, view a transcript online and print it
- Direct Pay, make tax payments or estimated tax payments directly debited from your checking or savings account
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, individuals or businesses can make all types of federal tax payments
- Online Payment Agreement, set up installment payments to pay taxes you owe
- Where's My Amended Return, track the status of your amended return
- Answers to tax law questions, get answers many tax questions
- About Your IRS Notice or Letter, get additional information about your letter or notice
- All IRS Forms and Publications, find and download current tax forms, instructions and publications