Topic No. 455 Moving Expenses for Members of the Armed Forces

If you're a member of the Armed Forces on active duty, you may be eligible to deduct moving expenses if your move was due to a military order and permanent change of station. You may be able to deduct your unreimbursed moving expenses for you, your spouse and dependents.

Permanent change of station – This includes a move from your home to your first post of active duty, a move from one permanent post of duty to another, and a move from your last post of duty to your home or to a nearer point in the United States. The move must occur within 1 year of ending your active duty or within the period allowed under the Joint Travel Regulations.

Reporting Moving Expenses

Figure moving expenses on Form 3903, Moving Expenses PDF and deduct as an adjustment to income on Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return PDF or Form 1040-SR, U.S. Tax Return for Seniors PDF (attach Schedule 1 (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), Additional Income and Adjustments to Income PDF). You can't deduct any moving expenses covered by reimbursements from the government (or paid for directly by the government) that are excluded from your income.

Additional Information

For more information, refer to Publication 3, Armed Forces Tax Guide and Can I Deduct My Moving Expenses?