If you made or received a payment during the calendar year as a small business or self-employed (individual), you are most likely required to file an information return to the IRS. This page is applicable to specific and limited reporting requirements. For more detailed information, please see General Instructions for Certain Information Returns or specific form instructions.
Do not file Copy A of information returns downloaded from the IRS website. The official printed version of the IRS form is scannable, but the online version of it, printed from the website, is not. A penalty may be imposed for filing forms that cannot be scanned.
Made a Payment
If, as part of your trade or business, you made any of the following types of payments, use the link to be directed to information on filing the appropriate information return.
- Payments, in the course of your trade or business: (1099-MISC) (Note: It is important that you place the payment in the proper box on the form. Refer to the instructions for more information.)
- Services performed by independent contractors or others (not employees of your business) (Box 7)
- Prizes and awards and certain other payments (see Instructions for Form 1099-MISC, Box 3. Other Income, for more information)
- Rent (Box 1)
- Royalties (Box 2)
- Backup withholding or federal income tax withheld (Box 4)
- Crewmembers of your fishing boat (Box 5)
- To physicians, physicians’ corporation or other supplier of health and medical services
- For a purchase of fish from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish (Box 7)
- Substitute dividends or tax exempt interest payments and you are a broker (Box 8)
- Crop insurance proceeds (Box 10)
- Gross proceeds of $600 or more paid to an attorney (generally, Box 7, but see instructions as Box 14 may apply)
- Interest on a business debt to someone (excluding interest on an obligation issued by an individual) (1099-INT)
- Dividends or other distributions to a company shareholder (1099-DIV)
- Distribution from a retirement or profit plan or from an IRA or insurance contract (1099-R)
- Payments to merchants or other entities in settlement of reportable payment transactions, that is, any payment card or third party network transaction (1099-K)
Received a Payment and Other Reporting Situations
If, as part of your trade or business, you received any of the following types of payments, use the link to be directed to information on filing the appropriate information return.
- Payment of mortgage interest (including points) or reimbursements of overpaid interest from individuals (1098)
- Sale or exchange of real estate (1099-S)
- You are a broker and you sold a covered security belonging to your customer (1099-B)
- You are an issuer of a security taking a specified corporate action that affects the cost basis of the securities held by others (Form 8937)
- You released someone from paying a debt secured by property or someone abandoned property that was subject to the debt (1099-A) or otherwise forgave their debt to you (1099-C)
- You made direct sales of at least $5,000 of consumer products to a buyer for resale anywhere other than a permanent retail establishment (1099-MISC)
- If you are a recipient or payee of an Incorrect Form 1099-MISC contact the payor. If you cannot get this form corrected, attach an explanation to your tax return and report your income correctly.
- If you are a recipient or payee expecting a Form1099-MISC and have not received one, contact the payor.
Not Required to File Information Returns
You are not required to file information return(s) if any of the following situations apply:
- You are not engaged in a trade or business.
- You are engaged in a trade or business and
- the payment was made to another business that is incorporated, but was not for medical or legal services or
- the sum of all payments made to the person or unincorporated business is less than $600 in one tax year
Need help? If you have questions about information reporting, you may call 1-866-455-7438 (toll-free) or 304-263-8700 (not toll free). Persons with a hearing or speech disability with access to TTY/TDD equipment can call 304-579-4827 (not toll free).
Need a Form or Publication?
Search, view and download IRS forms, instructions and publications