Understanding Your CP2566 Notice

What this notice is about

We didn't receive your tax return. We calculated your tax, penalty and interest based on wages and other income reported to us by employers, financial institutions, and others.

What you need to do

  • File your tax return immediately, or
  • Accept our proposed assessment by signing and returning the Response Form, or
  • Call us if you think you don't have to file.

    Remember, if you received an IRS-issued identity protection personal identification number (IP PIN) due to identity theft, you must include the IP PIN on the tax return, as directed, when you send it to us. If you’re filing a joint return, include each spouse’s IP PIN.

You may want to

Frequently asked questions

What should I do if I disagree with the notice?

Call us at the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice. Please have your paperwork ready when you call. If you prefer, you can write to us using the notice's Response Form and return address listed.

Where do I send my return?

Attach the Response Form and send the return to the address listed on the notice.

What should I do if I've just filed my tax return?

You don't have to do anything if you filed your tax returns within the last eight weeks.

What should I do if I didn't file my tax return or it's been more than eight weeks since I filed it?

Complete the Response Form from your notice. Check the name, Social Security number (or taxpayer identification number); and tax year on your notice. Make sure they match the name, number and year on the return. Mail us a copy of the tax return. Sign, date and mail a copy of your tax return with the Response Form, to the address listed on the notice.  If you file a joint return, your spouse must also sign and date the return.

What happens if I can't pay the full amount I owe when I file my return?

You can make a payment plan with us when you can't pay the full amount you owe.

Tips for next year

File your return on time.

Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.